Re: KDE background program causing X memory leak?

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com> writes:

> > However, every time the background updates itself, X's memory usage
> > increases by about 8 MB.  Right now, X is using 356MB of RAM, and it
> > will keep increasing on every update until there's no system memory
> > left, upon which X crashes.  Apparently, X doesn't free up the memory
> > used by the previous background images.
> >

> Sounds like a bug in xplanet.  The application is responsible for freeing the X
> server side pixmap.

Actually, it appears to be a bug in KDE.  It seems as though any time
the background is changed to a new image (not necessarily an
xplanet-generated one), the X memory usage increases.  Hmm, I'm
surprised no one's noticed this before.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>