Re: Bootp and IP ranges

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:18:45PM -0800, Shem Page wrote:
> I'm trying to get a bootp server to allocate ip addresses out to devices. I
> have one for DHCP and now I need one for bootp.
>  I don't want to have to know the mac address of each machine that will
> request an IP address from the server, but I can't figure out how to avoid it.
>
>  Can somebody tell me whether it is possible to have a bootp server giving
> out addresses without knowing the MAC address and placing them in the
> bootptab file.
>
>  I did read the following on a web page, but I could'nt get it to work
>

>  # Dynamic hosts will be added at end of file
> # You need to define ranges of dynamic IP to assign from this bootp server
> # use dummy name ".dynamic-X" where X is the range number starting with 1
> # Generic option tag T254 tells how many IP addresses to assign from that
> #range
>
> Any help would be welcome

[ man dhcpd(8) ]

  BOOTP support is also provided by this server. Unlike DHCP, the BOOTP
  protocol does not provide a protocol for recovering dynamically
  -assigned addresses once they are no longer needed.   It is still
  possible to dynamically assign addresses to BOOTP clients, but some
  administrative process for reclaiming addresses is required. By
  default, leases are granted to BOOTP clients in perpetuity, although
  the network administrator may set an earlier cutoff date or a shorter
  lease length for BOOTP leases if that makes sense.

  BOOTP clients may also be served in the old standard way, which is to
  simply provide a declaration in the dhcpd.conf file for each BOOTP
  client, permanently assigning an address to each client.

[ man dhcpd.conf(5) ]

  The range statement

   range [ dynamic-bootp ] low-address [ high-address];

  For any subnet on which addresses will be assigned dynamically, there
  must be at least one range statement. The range statement gives the
  lowest and highest IP addresses in a range. All IP addresses in the
  range should be in the subnet in which the range statement is
  declared. The dynamic-bootp flag may be specified if addresses in the
  specified range may be dynamically assigned to BOOTP clients as well
  as DHCP clients. When specifying a single address, high-address can
  be omitted.

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship