Re: dri causing hard lockups?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 06:46:31PM -0600, Matt Garman wrote:

> Trying to use the DRI stuff is causing X to lockup.  In fact, the
> whole system is almost locked up---the keyboard and mouse are
> impotent, and the monitor doesn't show anything.  Fortunately, I can
> do a remote login, but the only way to make the system useable is to
> do a reboot (killing all X processes doesn't help).

I have experienced this, but only while playing 3D-accelerated games.
The system in question is an Athlon-750 with a G400.  It slows down
horribly when certain dynamic lighting methods are used, such as
those employed by Soldier of Fortune, and it seems most likely to
lock the display during these slowdowns.  (I have experienced these
same symptoms once while not running a 3D game, but I discovered that
some of my RAM was bad later that day, and I'm fairly sure that
lockup was caused by the RAM, not by DRI.)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any solution beyond "if it
freezes when you play that game, then don't play it".

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss