OT: copy protected audio cds with linux ?

On Monday 25 March 2002 16:55, Craig Dickson wrote:
> begin  Dave Steinberg  quotation:
> > According to the site, "...key2audio does not introduce artificial
> > (C2) errors into the music, thereby preserving the title's original sound
> > quality...A hidden signature applied to the disc during glass master
> > manufacturing prevents playback on PC/MAC and thereby prevents copying or
> > track ripping.  The high reliability is due to the fact that the audio
> > part fully complies with the Red Book standard - not a single bit is
> > changed in the audio data stream - i.e.: no uncorrectable errors are used
> > to protect the audio data."
>
> I don't understand this. What is this "hidden signature", and how does
> it prevent the disc from playing on a CD-ROM drive? If the disc is fully
> Red Book-compliant, then why would it not play? Is this a cheap trick
> like putting a faulty non-audio session on the disc (separate from the
> Red Book CD audio data) in the hope that a CD-ROM drive would be
> confused by it, and therefore be unable to read it?

Now that I think about it, I remember on the show TheScreenSavers
(http://thescreensavers.com), they had a show where the took apart a CD
Player (sorry I don't remember the brand) and found a computer CD-ROM inside.
Will the CDs play on this equiptment? Who would be liable if not?