Re: copy protected audio cds with linux ?

on Mon, Mar 25, 2002, Oliver Elphick (olly@lfix.co.uk) wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 15:54, Markus Grunwald wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > Some time ago, a friend of mine had a problem copying a copy-protected
> > CD-Audio. He asked me to help copy it with my linux skills ;)
> >
> > Well, I couldn't since cdparanoia and the like didn't work. Can you tell
> > me some linux tools who might help me with this task ?
> >
> > BTW: What we wanted to do is perfectly legal, since everybody can make a
> > copy of his own CDs for personal use only. So no juristic comments,
> > please ;)
>
> I believe these copy-protection schemes work by introducing a lot of
> errors on the CD.  Audio CD players skip them but computers treat the CD
> as faulty.
>
> If this were in Britain I would take the CD back to the shop as unfit
> for the purpose for which it was sold and/or complain to Trading
> Standards.  I should have thought that you could do something similar in
> Germany, since the quality of the CD has been deliberately downgraded.

There's also a question of whether or not such products qualify for the
"Compact Disk" lable under the Phillips standard.  Phillips itself
(inventer of the CD) has objected to DeCSS under similar grounds.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.