Re: simple exim questions

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, andrej hocevar wrote:

> Please, I'm migrating from masqmail to exim and need some help. My
> computer is on a small local network of three (bibla, antea and
> liz-christina; the first one is my own) and so I want to be able to
> send mail to the other two (193.1.1.1, 193.1.1.2 -- If I understand
> it correctly, I want to deliver it locally?) and using my ISP for
> the outside world.

You should set up your machines to use, say, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2,
etc, as 192.168.0.0/16 (subnet mask 255.255.0.0, aka everything in
192.168.*) is reserved for such internal networking uses.  The IPs you
mentioned are reserved for BBN, a major provider (unless you're a BBN
customer and they gave you those IPs).  You'll confuse some routers
otherwise if BBN puts a customer or some machines on those IPs...

> I'm only trying to get exim to work with a simple configration but
> I'm confused as to what exactly I should tell eximconfig if that's
> enough to configure it. Would somebody help me please?

Internet site with smarthost, and you'll be acting as a smarthost for
192.168.0.0/24 if you use netmask 255.255.255.0 (which would give you
192.168.0.*, or 255 IPs for your network).  If you recieve your email at
your ISP, you'll also want to get fetchmail and set that up for
systemwide use.  Otherwise, the part about what hostnames it should
accept email for should be self explanatory.

--
Baloo