Re: High powered Debian advocacy?

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:11:15 -0800, Noah Sombrero wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:13:49 -0000, you wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>
>>couldn't you copy over /usr to a new drive and then mount the new drive to
>>/usr ???
>>
>>Chris
>
>I think that is the best suggestion that I have received.  In fact, I probably will
>do that.  But, my gut feeling is that computers should serve us rather than
>the other way around.  There should be a software solution.

I don't understand your problem.  Are you out of disc space, or did you
just mis-apportion your partitions?  Either way the problem is not that
packagers set up their apps to reside in /usr.  The problem is that you
need to re-partition or get another disc.

The Filesystem Hierarchy Standards (FHS) http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ do
just what you want.  By standardizing file locations, you are much
better able to control your applications.  Would you insist on putting
your conf/init files just anywhere?  Or does putting them in /etc, where
every programmer knows the path, make sense?  Not enough room on your
/var partition?  Put your log or mail files just god knows where, right?
Of course you'll need to hack some source (and compile it yourself) to
indicate where to send mail and log info.  No biggie, make all
programmers include the option in their conf files.  Oops, where the
hell is that file parked?

Take a look at the standards.  I think you'll see that the end result is
to make your life easier where the file system is concerned.
--
gt
Everything here could be wrong--Messiah's Handbook--Bach