From: Noah Sombrero [mailto:sombrero@attbi.com]
Sent: 22 March 2002 22:08
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Re: Re: High powered Debian advocacy?

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:17:06 +0000, you wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:34:31AM -0800, Noah Sombrero wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:09:07 +1100, you wrote:
>>
>> Apt-get is a great tool, however it insists on installing everything in
/usr.  Which means that it is
>> difficult to make use of extra hard drives.
>
>???
>could you elaborate?

I have about 60 mb on /usr.  A software installing session could use that in
nothing flat.  I have
plenty of room on /mnt, but I have to install by hand to get anything there.
Then X doesn't know
about it, etc.  I can edit x menus.  But still, it is not as easy as using
apt which was my original point.
It is possible to attach a new hard drive to /usr/local, but most software
packages are not smart
enough to use it in a manual installation.  Netscape 6, Adabas db, java sdk,
Netbeans are not for
instance.

Gleason