Re: apt-get has stopped working on my machine

On Thursday 21 March 2002 12:23 pm, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:19:30AM +0000, Jason Wood wrote:
> >
> > If anyone is interested, I've uploaded my current (broken) status file
> > (gzipped) here :
> >
> > http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/apt-problems/status.gz
> >
> > And I have provided the last working status file here :
> >
> > http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/apt-problems/dpkg.status.2.gz
> >
> > And the diff between the two files here :
> >
> > http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/apt-problems/diff
>
> Weird. I can't see anything wrong with the current status file. But I'm
> not the expert on that area.
>
> I also find it slightly odd that you had to go back to to dpkg.status.2
> - were dpkg.status.{0,1.gz} idential to /var/lib/dpkg/status? Since I
> can see that some packages have been installed and subsequently removed
> there may be clues in the backups in between. And you will probably want
> them for the bug report anyway.

At least one of these was to do with me attempting to get apt-get working
again. At one point I actuall managed to get it to update the file lists, but
when I tried to install an update, it wanted to remove about 100 packages,
several of them critical (bsd-tools was one of them, I think).

When I then re-added them using dselect, apt-get broke again.

> As far as I can see, the diff boils down to:
>     1) dpkg has been upgraded from 1.9.19 (=testing) to 1.9.20 (=unstable)

This was part of the fiddling that I have done. I manually downloaded the
latest version (at the time) and installed it to see if it fixed the problem.

>     2) You asked dselect(?) to remove:
>         epos-ptd
>         epos-ktd
>         libwrap0-dev

I'm not sure what libwrap is, but epos is a text-to-speech program which I
played about with a bit. There doesn't seem to be anything particularly
special about it.

For the moment, I think I will just wait a week or so and see if the problem
fixes itself (by downloading + installing new apt-get and dpkg if and when
they appear) and then I'll take another look and try and fix things.

Thanks for the help,

Jason

--
Jason Wood