Re: apt-get has stopped working on my machine

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:19:30AM +0000, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Thursday 21 March 2002 9:05 am, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > What packages did you last install/deinstall ? A diff between
> > /var/lib/dpkg/status and /var/backups/dpkg.status.* may refresh your
> > memory.  Chances are that you have to re-install (/re-de-install) them
> > to get things back in sync.
>
> As far as I can remember I have not installed any new packages. A diff
> between the previous working status file and the current broken one is only
> 90 lines long! I was getting ready to uninstall some files, but I didn't
> actually get round to it before the status file broke. So I don't think I
> will have to much trouble if I revert to a previous file and then update
> again. I'm going to try and figure out what's blatantly wrong first though.
>
> If anyone is interested, I've uploaded my current (broken) status file
> (gzipped) here :
>
> http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/apt-problems/status.gz
>
> And I have provided the last working status file here :
>
> http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/apt-problems/dpkg.status.2.gz
>
> And the diff between the two files here :
>
> http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/apt-problems/diff

Weird. I can't see anything wrong with the current status file. But I'm
not the expert on that area.

I also find it slightly odd that you had to go back to to dpkg.status.2
- were dpkg.status.{0,1.gz} idential to /var/lib/dpkg/status? Since I
can see that some packages have been installed and subsequently removed
there may be clues in the backups in between. And you will probably want
them for the bug report anyway.

As far as I can see, the diff boils down to:
    1) dpkg has been upgraded from 1.9.19 (=testing) to 1.9.20 (=unstable)

    2) You asked dselect(?) to remove:
        epos-ptd
        epos-ktd
        libwrap0-dev

    3) You asked dselect(?) to install:
        xfs
        xserver-common-v3
        xserver-svga
        sudo
        gabber
        libgnomememm9

    4) The following have been installed and then removed:
        dhcp3-common
        dhcp3-dev
        dhcp3-server
        wmpuzzle
        dhcp3-relay
        dhcp3-client

Of the above, I guess that 1) is the most important one.

For now I'd suggest keeping all the evidence to augment the bug report.
Anything to make the maintainer's job easier.

Sorry I can't help more

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com