Re: mistake: apt-get and debian 2.2

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 12:53:19PM -0600, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> I knew there was something strange about this!
> I didn't register the 2.2; Herbert xu's email said on the bottom:
> "debian 2.2 is out". Well it has been for quite some time, but I just
> registered debian being out with a new version and jumped to the
> conclusion (quite a jump!) that 3.0 was out! Sorry!

Ah, yes! Well, what you do when that eventually happens depends on what
your sources.list looks like at the moment. If you're using 'woody',
then you'll be following the stable branch, and the only updates you'll
get will be security updates as 3.0r1, 3.0r2, etc. are released. (You
should also add security.debian.org to sources.list after the woody
release if you go that way.)

On the other hand, if you're using 'testing', then you'll follow the
release candidate for woody+1 as it develops. It'll be called something
other than 'sid' - 'sarge' has been suggested once, but we don't really
know the name yet.

In neither case will you accidentally end up using 'sid'.

Cheers,