Re: High powered Debian advocacy?

Noah Sombrero wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:09:07 +1100, you wrote:
>
> >If I was you, I would concentrate on ease of upgrade (as mentioned before by someone, apt-get),
>
> Apt-get is a great tool, however it insists on installing everything in /usr.  Which means that it is
> difficult to make use of extra hard drives.

Apt installs there because that's where the FHS
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/) says things should go. That's actually an
advantage, knowing that a typical installation will use X MB of space
under /usr, and Y MB under /var, and so on. You're also able to make
consistent decisions about what directories can be NFS-mounted, and
which ones must be local (to anyone who accidentally messed up /lib,
this is much appreciated).

Rather than making it difficult to use extra hard drives, this easily
allows you to dedicate a partition to /usr, possibly one to /usr/local
(if you install a lot of stuff that's not under apt's control).

--Rich

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.