Re: Window Manager Probs *sigh*

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 06:46:58 -0800 (PST)
SJ <linux@sarahj.net> wrote:

>  I'm really not sure what I did wrong, but...
>
>  After doing an apparently clean install of debian linux on a
>  new system, Gnome does not come up Window Maker does.  I
>  know we installed Gnome but it's not even in the list of
>  Window Managers to switch to (actually only Window Maker is
>  listed there).  Any idea what I may have done wrong, or not
>  done, in setting up the system?  I would really like to get
>  this monster working.  I have a db development project I
>  should be working on and I can't do that until I get the
>  system up.
>
>  I sincerly hope this is making some sense, if not blame the
>  time. *sigh*

Gnome isn't a Window Manager. Gnome is a Desktop Environment which can
use a variety of window managers. So in theory you can have both Gnome
and WindowMaker, which *is* a window manager. The default window manager
for modern Gnome systems appears to be Sawfish, the Window Manager
formerly known as Sawmill. Sawfish may not be available in the version
of Debian you installed, which I suspect is Potato (aka Debian Stable)

Try:

# apt-get install sawfish

If it does something other than install Sawfish, then I guess you're
stuck with WindowMaker. That or you can upgrade to Woody (Testing) or
Sid(Unstable), which has better window manager options.