Desperately trying to understand dselect (seeming inconsistency)

I finally took the dselect plunge.  Aptitude is far easier, but I heard
dselect can be more effective once it's mastered.

Ok..  For some strange reason dselect had a bunch of crap selected that
I have no idea where it came from when I first entered dselect after a
brand new minimum install.  So I'm trying to un-select it all (D didn't
work because it was previously selected), but when I try to un-select
something that recommends another package, it won't let me unless I
remove the other package, which in some cases is something I already
have installed.

Here's an example.  I have vim installed.  When I started dselect, it
had vim-rt selected (but not installed).  So when I try to un-select
vim-rt, I get a dependency resolution screen that looks like:

EIOM Pri Section  Package      Description
  *- Opt editors  vim-rt       Vi IMproved - runtime support files
 **- Opt editors  vim          Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor

Well I want to keep vim, so I do a + on it, and hit enter, well then I
get another dependency resolution screen:

EIOM Pri Section  Package      Description
  -* Opt editors  vim-rt       Vi IMproved - runtime support files
 *** Opt editors  vim          Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor

But I don't want vim-rt, so I - it, and hit enter, and I get the same
screen again.  What's the deal here?  Does recommend = require in
deb-speak?  If so something is messed up, because when I first installed
vim I just did an apt-get install vim, and all it installed was vim, no
prompting for vim-rt or anything.

Someone please explain.  I very much want to understand this system, but
it seems like apt-get and dselect are being inconsistent.

Thanks!!

-Mike

Michael D. Marziani
Systems Administrator

ATTENTION! The information contained in this email may be CONFIDENTIAL
and PRIVILEGED. It is intended for the individual or entity named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, please be notified that any use,
review, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this email by error, please delete it and notify the
sender immediately. Thank you.