Re: Re[2]: Network Card error

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 15:08, Alan Poulton wrote:
> How stable is woody?  I'm not a seasoned Linux user, by any stretch of
> the imagination, so I don't want to get involved with something where
> I'm a beta tester and have to report errors or anything =]
>
> If Woody is stable enough for the average user, or for the average
> Router/firewall with IP Tables, Masq'ing, etc, then how would I go about
> upgrading to it?

Woody is technically a beta OS, but it is quite stable.  Most users of
debian run Woody because potato is just too old to be useful.  It
shouldnt have any problems as a router for you.  If you knew how to set
it up under potato you should be able to do the same under woody.

To upgrade to woody you should change your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
You should change all potato or stable entries to woody except for those
dealing with security updates.  Then do an:
apt-get update
apt-get install apt apt-utils dpkg dselect
apt-get dselect-upgrade
apt-get -f install
apt-get dist-upgrade

You might have to do the last 2 several times till it says that
everything went fine.  At the end of this you should have a good
system.  Everything should work fine.  Any other problems or questions
feel free to email me.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."