Re: Trident display card

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:

> A friend has a display card identified by lspci as:
>
> 00:0b.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems TGUI 9660/968x/968x (rev d3)
>
> I tried the xfree4 "trident" driver, but it didn't display quite right.
> (The display was ... um, "fragmented", though the mouse cursor moved
> fine, iirc.)

	I was testing about ten of these cards (Trident 966x), and one of
them had a similar "fragmented" display. Almost as if the upper left hand
quarter of the screen was duplicated in the other four quarters. Very
strange. I was using XF86 3.3.6 (potato version), and used the same
configuration file in testing all the cards, only one gave this strange
behavior, and all the cards were identical.

> Any ideas about this card? I guess I could also try 3.3.6. And what
> XFree4 driver is the "general SVGA" one, if there is one? I saw "VGA",
> which also gave some trouble (again: iirc), is "VGA" the generic driver?

	Does this card work correctly under say, M$ Windows? If not, or
not tested with it, I would suspect that the card is bad. That is what I
concluded in my case.
	Also, unless XF4 greatly improved the the trident driver from
3.3.6, I would just as soon consider the card bad and replace it. Under
3.3.6 those cards were slow as mud, while a S3Trio64 (same vintage) was
many times faster.
	Hope this is of help. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |