wmsetbg and display

I am trying to run wmsetbg from a console while X is running but I keep getting
"could not open display errors".

wmsetbg -display localhost:0.0 -e image.gif -w 2
wmsetbg -display localhost:0   -e image.gif -w 2

What am I doing wrong?

Lance
--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                              lance@augustmail.com

  It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible
                        nonconformist warmly acclaimed.
                                       -
                                Albert Einstein