temporary ethernet card

This sounds like it probably reduces to a newbie question...

I just bought a new computer, and need to transfer a bunch of data onto it
from my old computer. Neither one has an ethernet card (don't need one - I
use dialup). A coworker has offered to loan me two network cards to copy
the data, which sounds *real cool*. Here're my questions:

(1) What's involved in adding the network cards to the machines (old one
runs Potato, new will have Woody)

(2) What will be required to keep Linux happy when I remove the network
card from my Woody machine? Or, would it be worthwhile to just get a
network card, even though it won't be connected to anything?

(3) This one is probably in a FAQ or HOW-TO, I haven't looked yet: if I
connect the two computers via a crossover cable, how would I set up the
Linux boxes?

--
Paul F. Pearson (ppearson@hiwaay.net)     http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppearson/
"Lord heal our land. Father heal our land. Hear our cry and turn our nation