Re: temporary ethernet card

High,

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Paul F. Pearson wrote:

> This sounds like it probably reduces to a newbie question...
>
> I just bought a new computer, and need to transfer a bunch of data onto it
> from my old computer. Neither one has an ethernet card (don't need one - I
> use dialup). A coworker has offered to loan me two network cards to copy
> the data, which sounds *real cool*. Here're my questions:
>
> (1) What's involved in adding the network cards to the machines (old one
> runs Potato, new will have Woody)

Nothing much really. If your kernel is compiled to support the cards, it's
all very simple. Let's assume they are 3c905 NIC's. This will do it:

insmod 3c59x
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

On the other computer do the same, only with address 192.168.1.2.

Check if it is all working well:
ping 192.168.1.1
ping 192.168.1.2

Congratulations!

If you install proftpd on one computer and ncftp on the other, you will be
able to transfer files pretty quickly.

> (2) What will be required to keep Linux happy when I remove the network
> card from my Woody machine? Or, would it be worthwhile to just get a
> network card, even though it won't be connected to anything?

Just sing to it when it is loading the kernel. No problems will appear
then.

> (3) This one is probably in a FAQ or HOW-TO, I haven't looked yet: if I
> connect the two computers via a crossover cable, how would I set up the
> Linux boxes?

See (1).

Greetz,
Sebastiaan