Re: temporary ethernet card

On 19-Mar-2002 Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> This sounds like it probably reduces to a newbie question...
>
> I just bought a new computer, and need to transfer a bunch of data onto it
> from my old computer. Neither one has an ethernet card (don't need one - I
> use dialup). A coworker has offered to loan me two network cards to copy
> the data, which sounds *real cool*. Here're my questions:
>
> (1) What's involved in adding the network cards to the machines (old one
> runs Potato, new will have Woody)

Let's assume PCI.

the biggest obstacle is having the kernel modules for the cards.  If you
compiled your own kernel you may have left them out.

Basically you add the card and reboot.  Login as root.  Run lspci and look for
the network adapter.  From there you look the card up in the supported cards
and modprobe the right driver.  Chances are it is either tulip or 3c509.  Once
the cards are up you simply give each machine an IP.  Something like 10.1.1.1
and 10.1.1.2.  If he can supply a cross over cable, great.

> (2) What will be required to keep Linux happy when I remove the network
> card from my Woody machine? Or, would it be worthwhile to just get a
> network card, even though it won't be connected to anything?

You actually do not need to make any permanent changes to the machines.  You
can modprobe the driver by hand, ifconfig by hand, copy the data and then power
off and remove the card.  When you reboot the machine will never know it
happened.

> (3) This one is probably in a FAQ or HOW-TO, I haven't looked yet: if I
> connect the two computers via a crossover cable, how would I set up the
> Linux boxes?

Just like you would otherwise.  There is no need for a gateway/route though.