can't boot; was: Re: booting from PCI IDE card rather than SCSI

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 06:46:34AM +0000, Simon Hepburn wrote:
> Matt Garman wrote:
>
> > The new problem, though, is now my SCSI CD-ROMs don't work.  The hard
> > drives work fine.  The SCSI device driver *is* recognizing the SCSI
> > CD-ROMs.  However, I can't mount any /dev/scdx device.
>
> Do you have scsi-cdrom support in your kernel ? If you compiled it as a
> module, is it loading ?

I originally had SCSI cdrom support in my kernel (in my 2.4.17 kernel,
that is).  I copied the 2.4.17 config file to the 2.4.19-pre3 source
directory and did a "make oldconfig".  Apparantly, the SCSI cdrom
support got lost somehow... <shrug>

Anyway, from the new system (on the new IDE drive), I recompiled the
kernel WITH scsi cdrom support.  I rebooted, and.... Kernel panic.

I'm going in circles here.  I'm once again stuck.

In my kernel config, I said "yes" to the "boot offboard controllers
first" (or something to that effect).  This is the option whose help
says that you might need to pass the append="ide=reverse" parameter to
the kernel.  Check.  I have the following line in my /etc/lilo.conf:

append="ide=reverse"

Another interesting line from /etc/lilo.conf is this:

root=/dev/hda2

This is correct---my root partition is /dev/hda2.

Now, when this kernel boots, it IS recognizing my ata/133 attached
drive as /dev/hda (i.e. it is seeing the append="ide=reverse" option):

 hda: [PTBL] [14593/255/63] hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
 	< hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 >

Everything looks like it's rolling along as planned... but then it
says something to the effect of "can't find /sbin/modprobe... check
root= kernel option"

Finally I get the kernel panic, and it says "can't mount root on
device 3:02".  If I understand correctly, device 3:02 IS the second
partition of my first IDE drive.

I'm using the SAME kernel on my "old" SCSI system.  I can mount
/dev/hdx without any problem.  I don't understand what has gone
wrong.  I WAS able to boot from that 2.4.19-pre3 kernel; all I did was
go in and add SCSI cdrom support.  Blew it all away.  I even tried
rebuilding the kernel from a clean 2.4.19-pre3 source.  I triple
checked that both the "boot offboard controllers fist" and promise
ata/133 options are turned on in the kernel.

I'm about at wit's end here... definately losing my mind... help!

Thanks!
Matt

--
Matt Garman, matt@raw-sewage.net
``I ain't never seen no whiskey, the blues made my sloppy drunk!''