Re: can't boot; was: Re: booting from PCI IDE card rather than SCSI

Matt Garman wrote:

> I'm going in circles here.  I'm once again stuck.

The great thing about being lost is that you get to see twice as many
places....

> In my kernel config, I said "yes" to the "boot offboard controllers
> first" (or something to that effect).  This is the option whose help
> says that you might need to pass the append="ide=reverse" parameter to
> the kernel.  Check.  I have the following line in my /etc/lilo.conf:
>
> append="ide=reverse"

I'm not certain, but I think this only has an effect if you have drives
connected to both the onboard ide *and* the promise card *and* you want the
drives on the promise card to come first. Otherwise how would you have been
able to boot before ?

> Another interesting line from /etc/lilo.conf is this:
>
> root=/dev/hda2
>
> This is correct---my root partition is /dev/hda2.
>
> Now, when this kernel boots, it IS recognizing my ata/133 attached
> drive as /dev/hda (i.e. it is seeing the append="ide=reverse" option):
>
>  hda: [PTBL] [14593/255/63] hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
>  	< hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 >
>
> Everything looks like it's rolling along as planned... but then it
> says something to the effect of "can't find /sbin/modprobe... check
> root= kernel option"
>
> Finally I get the kernel panic, and it says "can't mount root on
> device 3:02".  If I understand correctly, device 3:02 IS the second
> partition of my first IDE drive.

Sounnds like you have built your ide support as modules. Rebuild your kernel
with ide support compiled in. Unless I am dealing with removable hardware
(USB/PCMCIA) I don't use modules at all, but I suppose thats a personal
opinion. Post your .config if you get totally stuck.

> I'm about at wit's end here... definately losing my mind... help!

Mad people are generally very happy....you'll enjoy it after a while ;-)

--
Simon Hepburn.