Re: Best Email Web Application

Dave Scott, Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:04:17PM -0800:
> I'm going to try the manual install today.

Very straightforward.  There are some changes I make to the default
install (don't like db passwords in the DocumentRoot) but the
installation and configuration process is a snap.

> I'll let you know what I come up with.
>
> I think my main problem was I couldn't find any version of squirrelmail
> up on debian's site, except for in testing, so I tried the testing
> version, opps.

Very bad idea to mix stable and testing/unstable.  It might work today, but
future upgrades and installations are guaranteed to be hairy.

> Maybe my sources.list needs to be updated, but with what reference?
>
> What I didn't understand was Squirrelmail said you need Perl, but is
> there a specific version of Perl it requires.  Me thinks that the
> Squirrelmail version I tried to install requires Perl 5.6, hence it kept
> telling me Perl wasn't installed when I know it was.

SquirrelMail's configuration utility uses Perl.  The config utility is
great and doesn't need Perl 5.6.

The dependency problem:
squirrelmail -> apache and php4
apache and php4 -> libc6 2.2.4-4

The version of libc6 in potato is 2.1.3-19.  Pretty much everything
depends on libc6, so if you upgrade libc6 you are making major changes
to you system.  Basically, libc6 is the reason why it's difficult to mix
releases.  Even if potato/woody had the same version of libc6, it would
be sure to change down the road, and when it did you would have to
choose one or the other.

> Anyway, I'll try the source and see what happens, I already installed
> the box at the customers premise so I need to be careful what I do now,
> but I can do all the testing on my box at home though first.

Good luck.

Brought to you by Debian 3.0
Linux took 2.4.16 #1 SMP Sat Jan 5 12:52:24 EST 2002 i686 unknown