Re: How to use SquirrelMail?

<quote who="Rick Macdonald">

> Below I've outlined what I'd like to do, but I'm not sure if SquirrelMail
> will do this. I easily installed apache and SquirrelMail, but I haven't
> installed an IMAP yet.
>
> Here's what I do now:
>
> - run fetchmail to grab mail from a few different mail servers for
> deposit
>  locally for a few different users.
> - some local users running Windows/Netscape get their mail from my
>  machine; I run qpopper for this.
> - For one of the users (me) procmail sorts the mail into various mail
>  files.
> - I read my mail with pine, usually.
>
> When I'm away from home, I want to access my mail remotely, using web
> access. People seem to like SquirrelMail. I have apache and SM installed,
> but that's as far as I've gone.
>
> I can't figure out if SquirrelMail will use the existing mail folders
> that pine sees or not. I don't want SquirrelMail to fetch mail from
> anywhere to move anywhere else.
>
> I don't understand if IMAPs role is simply to serve up the mail to the
> remote client and allow deleting, moving to other folders, etc, or if it
> will want to replace my existing steps of fetchmail/procmail.
>
> Which IMAP package should I use?

depends on your needs. It is simplist to use SM's POP plugin to retrieve
the mail, and take fetchmail out of the picture ..I have been using
SM(and am using it for this message) since Jan 2000. I use the CYRUS
IMAP server, but it may be an overkill for your needs.

SM will use any existing IMAP folders if they can be accessed using
your IMAP server. To be safe, create any folders with IMAP and you
can be sure it can be accessed via IMAP. I have never used procmail
as it is not compadible with cyrus(I think at least ).

for your needs your probably best using Courier for performance,
or UW IMAP for ease-of-setup. UW imap is dog slow though. If you
don't have more then 500 messages in an inbox its not really an
issue for a small number of users. I haven't used courier, it is
probably a little harder to setup, but its 5-10x faster.

so in short, SM will access anything your IMAP server will access.

nate