many-button mouse question

I really hate to bring this age-old question up again ("how do you
activate the wheel on a mouse"), and I have checked the archives on this
and tried most things I can think of, but can't get it.  Here's the deal:

I have (what it says is) an IBM Model MO02W mouse.  There are the normal
buttons (left, middle with wheel and click, and right), as well as three
more on the left side of the mouse.  the left, right, and "3-button
emulate" work fine, so I can manage as is, but would like to figure out
the  wheel thing.  Given my XF86Config-4 (relevant section below),
rolling the wheel up makes the pointer go up very fast, and rolling the
wheel down makes it go up (yes up) very slowly.  All the left-side extra
buttons make the pointer go up upon clicking as well as releasing (two
up-jumps per press/release cycle).

I have tried adding the Option "Buttons" # command, as well as various
combinations of numbers for ZAxisMapping, and nothing changes.  Any help?

 ---------------
Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier and driver
    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Microsoft"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
# Jeff is adding the next line to try activate the scroll wheel
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#    Option "ChordMiddle"
EndSection