Re: Newbie - Internet install help 2

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 03:27:59PM +0100, Ronald Castillo wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I am new to the Linux world.  I want to install Debian Linux but I have
> some questions, and I would really appreciate it if you could help me:
>
> I have a CD of the Debian 2.1 (Slink) distribution.  Is there any way I
> can just install a base system and download the rest of the system via
> internet? I want to install Woody but I couldn?t find an ISO online.
>
> If it is possible, how can I do to configure my internet connection? I
> connect to the Internet using a LAN connection (cable-modem). All my
> internet settings are automatically configured by an DHCP server.  I
> already know the module name of my LAN card (tulip), but that?s all I
> know.
>
> I would really appreciate any help you could give me about this.   I
> want to learn to use Debian so I can configure a home system and a HTTP,
> FTP and news server.
>
> If you have read my last email which contains this same information and
> you plan to write me, please do so by replying to this email and not the
> other one.

Slink is a bit old.  Sounds like you have a fast connection.  What I
would do is download the woody floppy images -
root.bin, rescue.bin and the four driver-x.bin files.

You can get by with less driver files if you use a different kernel.
I'll let you research that one if you choose.

You can get the files at -
ftp://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/

Read the installation instructions -
ftp://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/README.txt

During the install you will be configuring your network settings.
Choose dhcp.

After you have your box up and running I would take it off line and lock
it down.  Take a look at -
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html

It sounds like you wanted cc'd  I'm going to do so but prefer to keep
things on list.
hth,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)