Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

you wrote:
>so the subjective opinion of he who does the work is the only
>one that counts.

Which boils down to: complain and if you're complaint isn't handled:
remove the package?

I think there should be one other side to this issue:
if the package doesn't suffer from the removal of the offensive language then
the language should be removed. The issue of whether something is offensive is
still judged by the ones that do the work, but this time with the requirement that they use their common sense as to what would likely be thought of as offensive. Note that this may imply that nothing changes. Also note that hardly any package would suffer from the removal of the possibly offensive language and thus everyone could remove
profanity and unsubstantiated derogatory comments/jokes from their packages.

What would be lost by that? Nothing. I see no use for profanity and derogatory
remarks. What would be gained? Perhaps one user every month that doesn't leave
Debian. I think every user is worth the trouble of removing utterly useless text, for which
better alternatives are present.

I personally don't care whether this 'plan' is ever agreed upon; I'm not
offended by _anything_ , but I think it would be an improvement to the distribution.

regards,

Ivo Wever
I.J.W.Wever@student.tnw.tudelft.nl