Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

>>"Jaldhar" == Jaldhar H Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org> writes:

 Jaldhar> Censorship is suppression of an idea based on its' content.  I didn't
 Jaldhar> quote that from a dictionary but would you agree that's a reasonable
 Jaldhar> definition?

	Not quite. You are missing the significance of the roman
 magistrates

	But did censorship occur here? upstream said that this was an
 oversight, a mistake. I often change documents I author because the
 content from the previous draft displeased me. Am I then constantly
 censoring myself?

 Jaldhar> Inflammatory or not, there was an offensive text, now there
 Jaldhar> isn't.  And the reason there isn't is because it was deemed
 Jaldhar> offensive.  Censorship.

	No, the reason it is not here since the author did not intend
 to convey that sentiment. It was inadvertent, and no external
 authority mandated the change.

 Jaldhar> And why should it be inflammatory?  That kind of censorship
 Jaldhar> goes on all the time.  Why, just today I censored two
 Jaldhar> invitations to acquire credit cards and a menu from a
 Jaldhar> Chinese restaurant.  While I'm sure someone at Shanghai
 Jaldhar> Gardens is very upset about this I doubt the ACLU is rushing
 Jaldhar> to take the case.

	I reiterate my exhortation to consult a real
 dictionary. Language is meant for communication, if you cant trst
 what the meaning of the word is is, you often cannot communicate
 meaningfully.

 >> In this particular case (which really interests me little),

 Jaldhar> Which was another point.  Most of the people involved in
 Jaldhar> this debate (it was wrong of me to single your name out)
 Jaldhar> really don't care yet they all act as if the wrong answer
 Jaldhar> was going to result in the end of civilization as we know
 Jaldhar> it!  weird.

	I care little for the specific case, but yes, the underlying
 principle is something I hold dear.

	manoj
--
 "...one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is
 escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless