noise when using esd

I have set up esd on a machine that has a via868 soundcard. I compiled
the latest alsa driver. The sound works nicely without any problem. Even
having several programs playing sound at the same time works (which was
the reason I started using esd, so that galeon would stop hanging every
time it came to a page with flash.) I had tried this earlier, but then
esd added noice on top of the sound.

However when I try to do the same with a another machine that has a
intel820 soundcard (using alsa here too) I get noise added to the sound,
usually in the right channel. Same happens with artsd.

Does anybody know why this happens and is there a way I can fix this?
I'm going to setup for a third machine where the soundcard is via8233.

thanks in advance.
--
Preben Randhol         «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»