Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

Howdy,
> Normally I wouldn't get into counting dancing angels on pinheads.  The
> above statements are idiocy of a dangerous brand.  You hope "Mein Kampf"
> would not be in your library?  I suppose Henry Miller's writings are
> taboo also?  Who else shall be proscribed?  Ray Bradbury for sure is a
> dangerous writer; will you ban his works?  And more importantly, who the
> hell are you to even suggest what I may or may not have available to
> read?  If you don't want to read "Mein Kampf," then don't.  Are you
> afraid that if you do, you will start killing Jews?  Or are you afraid
> other, less right thinking people will turn into Nazi idiots due to its
> taint, and this is your way of saving them?

  You misunderstand my point. I really don't care if someone wished to read
Mein Kampf, or any other trash for that matter. That isn't the point. My
point is that I don't want *my* tax dollars to pay for it. I'm not saying,
however, that you shouldn't be allowed to go buy the book, just not expect
the library to get it on my (and every other tax payer's) dime.
  Also, I'm not against things I disagree with. However, I, like I think
anyone else, draws the line at some point. Like someone else pointed out,
does your library generally carry Penthouse? Should it? Should it carry the
writtings of Osama bin Ladin? There has to be a line somewhere, it's only a
matter of where. It's worth noting, at some point, everyone will say "that's
enough." I might be stricter than you, but in the end, I think everyone is
willing to censor something.

> You exhibit all the symptoms of the incipient tyrant, much in the vein
> of the fundamentalist preacher or imam.  You somehow have the Truth with
> a capital T and you're out to drag the rest of us kicking and screaming
> into your version of Righteousness and Morality.  Well, the world
> doesn't need your kind of tyranny.

  Beings that I'm against most government interference in things, you seem to
have concluded (falsely) way more off a few of my sentences than makes sense
to do so. No offense, but you clearly don't have any idea how horrible a
tyrant is.

> What we do need is a free and open exchange of all ideas, good and bad.
> Trust people to do what they think is best.  You may not always agree,
> and either you or they could be wrong on any issue.  As long as we're
> not force-fed this view and deprived of that one, we make pretty good
> decisions.  Having all views available is the _sine qua non_, even
> Hitler's "Mein Kampf."

  As I said, that is perfectly fine. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be
happy if my tax dollars went toward buying Mein Kampf for a library. If you
want to go find a bookstore that carries it and buy a copy or two - that is
your right, and something I would never think the government should prevent.

> ps.  	I wrote the above before noticing the writer's sig line.
> 		That's one pin I hit on the head. :-)

  I'm curious what you mean by this? I don't see anything in my sig that has
anything to do with anything you said.

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler                    tbutler@uninetsolutions.com
Universal  Networks                       http://www.uninet.info