OT: Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 15:32, Timothy R. Butler wrote:

>   You misunderstand my point. I really don't care if someone wished to read
> Mein Kampf, or any other trash for that matter. That isn't the point. My
> point is that I don't want *my* tax dollars to pay for it. I'm not saying,
> however, that you shouldn't be allowed to go buy the book, just not expect
> the library to get it on my (and every other tax payer's) dime.
>   Also, I'm not against things I disagree with. However, I, like I think
> anyone else, draws the line at some point. Like someone else pointed out,
> does your library generally carry Penthouse? Should it? Should it carry the
> writtings of Osama bin Ladin? There has to be a line somewhere, it's only a
> matter of where. It's worth noting, at some point, everyone will say "that's
> enough." I might be stricter than you, but in the end, I think everyone is
> willing to censor something.

--snip--

>   As I said, that is perfectly fine. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be
> happy if my tax dollars went toward buying Mein Kampf for a library. If you
> want to go find a bookstore that carries it and buy a copy or two - that is
> your right, and something I would never think the government should prevent.

For starters note the subject line change, since this ceased having
anything to do with debian a long time ago.

Now, personally, I love the Star Trek DS9 books. Every library in my
area carries all of them. As much as I like these books, they don't
really contribute anything to the literary world. With all due respect
to the authors, the writing contained in them is neither thought
inspiring, educational, or in any other way important.

Mein Kampf, on the other hand, was written by a rather mentally unstable
individual who, none the less, was able to get an entire country to
rally behind him, and in the process, nearly wipe the Jewish people from
the face of this planet. I think it is VITAL that we read and study this
man's writings to ensure that someone like him never comes around again.
My tax dollars had DAMNED WELL BETTER be going to this cuase. We should,
for this same reason, make the writings of Osama Bin Laden widely
available. It is important to understand this man's views so that we can
best prevent future tragedies.

<sarcasm>
If you believe that this is a waste of your tax dollars, then perhaps we
should also get rid of the military as well? And, while we're at it,
universities are also a waste of your tax dollars since all they do all
day is talk about Hitler and Bin Laden, so lets scrap those as well. As
a matter of fact, they go over this "Mein Kampf" trash in high schools
all over the country, so lets get rid of those. And if we get rid of
them, then we might as well just get rid of elementary and middle
schools and call it a day. Hell, I don't have cancer, so we should stop
wasting my tax dollars on cancer research.
</sarcasm>

-Alex