Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

Hi,
> Tom Sawyer?

  Hmm... that wouldn't be on my list of controversial books. How about a
better example. If I wanted to read Mein Kampf (sp?) by Adoph Hitler, do you
think I could get that at my library? I certainly hope not. Should it be
there so that we can make sure the "Upstream" has a right to have his book
featured in the library without being censored in anyway?
  I mean depending on how far one would take this, maybe we should enforce
new rules to make sure every hateful document or program on the internet
should be included to avoid censoring anyone. Obviously, I think at a point
everyone will draw a line on what should be included. Otherwise you'd have
one big mess.

> >   So, if someone creates a program that has a button that says "Please
> > Click Here," and that button initializes the hard disk, are we to assume
> > the package maintainer is not to edit it so to avoid infringing on
> > Upstream's rights (exactly how many rights they actually have when
> > dealing with a private project is on shaky ground).
>
> You people have a hard time seperating technical and political aspects
> of things.

  Actually, not. I'm not arguing about the technical problem (initializing
the disk), I'm arguing about the language problem ("Please Click Here").
Surely, if authors are suppose to get as much free speech in Debian as they
please, an author has the right to make the button to wipe out all of your
data "Please Click Here." It could be a political statement for the National
Association of Kind Data Deletion or something (obviously, I'm being a little
fecicious here).

Timothy R. Butler                    tbutler@uninetsolutions.com
Universal  Networks                       http://www.uninet.info
Christian Portal and Search Tool:       http://www.faithtree.com