Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

>>"Timothy" == Timothy R Butler <tbutler@uninetsolutions.com> writes:

 Timothy>   You misunderstand my point. I really don't care if someone
 Timothy> wished to read Mein Kampf, or any other trash for that
 Timothy> matter. That isn't the point. My point is that I don't want
 Timothy> *my* tax dollars to pay for it.

	Any library that gets my tax dollars had better not be so
 narrow minded and  bigoted, and the administrators should have a
 better understanding of the rationale behind the first amendment.

 Timothy> I'm not saying, however, that you shouldn't be allowed to go
 Timothy> buy the book, just not expect the library to get it on my
 Timothy> (and every other tax payer's) dime.

	I would far rather they spent it on letting kids learn about
 history than have it spent on some inanity that seems to pervade
 popular literature at the moment (romance novels?)

 Timothy>   Also, I'm not against things I disagree with. However, I,
 Timothy> like I think anyone else, draws the line at some point. Like
 Timothy> someone else pointed out, does your library generally carry
 Timothy> Penthouse?

	Yes.

 Timothy> Should it?

	Yes.

 Timothy> Should it carry the writtings of Osama bin Ladin?

	Most definitely.  This is way more important than the latest
 crichton book.

 Timothy> There has to be a line somewhere, it's only a matter of
 Timothy> where. It's worth noting, at some point, everyone will say
 Timothy> "that's enough." I might be stricter than you, but in the
 Timothy> end, I think everyone is willing to censor something.

	Ah yes. The very basis of Fahrenheit 451.

 Timothy>   Beings that I'm against most government interference in
 Timothy> things, you seem to have concluded (falsely) way more off a
 Timothy> few of my sentences than makes sense to do so. No offense,
 Timothy> but you clearly don't have any idea how horrible a tyrant
 Timothy> is.

	Your ideas seem far more tyrannical than the government anyday.

 Timothy>   As I said, that is perfectly fine. All I'm saying is that
 Timothy> I wouldn't be happy if my tax dollars went toward buying
 Timothy> Mein Kampf for a library. If you want to go find a bookstore
 Timothy> that carries it and buy a copy or two - that is your right,
 Timothy> and something I would never think the government should
 Timothy> prevent.

	So proliferation of ideas should be restricted to the rich?
 And we definitely want to keep ideas away from the general public?

	manoj
--
 We've sent a man to the moon, and that's 29,000 miles away.  The
 center of the Earth is only 4,000 miles away.  You could drive that