Re: Moving /var to another drive

* Neal Lippman (nl@lippman.org) spake thusly:
> One thing I wondered about, though. You are using the technique of taring up
> the entire directory tree and then untaring it into the target partition. Why
> not just use cp -a <source> <target> instead?

Tradition, portability. "cp -a" is a GNUism, there was no "cp -a" back when,
and there is no "cp -a" on many systems now. It doesn't matter if you are
not going to use a Real Unix(tm), ever; those who do prefer to learn portable
ways of doing things.

Dima
--
Q276304 - Error Message: Your Password Must Be at Least 18770 Characters
and Cannot Repeat Any of Your Previous 30689 Passwords           -- RISKS 21.37