Re: Can't leave X Windows

Eric wrote:

> Hello all:
> I am using Debian Potato, and recently installed the X Windows system.

It's the X Window system, or just X. Windows is a dirty word round here ;-)

> However, I can no longer go back to the command line. I tried Exit, and the
> other various exit/kill commands. I also tried Alt-Ctrl-F1. When I do this
> the monitor goes out of frequency. I am absolutly positive that I set the
> correct frequency in XConfig. Any ideas?

Do you login at the console and then startx or do you have a display manager
installed (graphical login) ? If you use startx then Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
should kill X. If you have a display manager (xdm,gdm,kdm or wdm) installed
but don't wish to always use X then edit /etc/inittab to change the default
run level:

# The default runlevel.
id:3:initdefault:

Remove the symlink to xdm,gdm,kdm or wdm from /etc/rc2.d/. Now you can boot
to console only by passing the argument  init 2 at boot time.

Alternatively just uninstall your display manager.

--
Simon Hepburn.