Re: Moving /var to another drive

> George Karaolides <george.karaolides@linustech.com.cy> wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > And transfer the data using tar:
> >
> > tar cplf - -C / var | tar xvf - -C /mnt

<snip>

I recently did something similar, moving my personal files to a new HD so
that I can mount the entire drive (partitioned as one big drive) to /home/nl
for my personal files. Interestingly, because I now have an entire ext2fs
file system mounted as my home directory, I now have a lost+found directory
in my home directory. Not, obviously, a big problem, just something to keep
in mind.

One thing I wondered about, though. You are using the technique of taring up
the entire directory tree and then untaring it into the target partition. Why
not just use cp -a <source> <target> instead?