Re: Moving /var to another drive

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 03:33:55PM +0200, George Karaolides wrote:
> That's it.  Note that if /usr and /var were originally part of your root
> filesystem, the data will still be there but the new filesystem will be
> mounted on the top level directory so you won't see it.  After you've
> successfully transferred /usr and /var out of the root filesystem, you can
> reclaim the space by going to single user mode, unmounting /usr and /var,
> and doing the following:
>
> rm -rvf /var
> rm -rvf /usr
> mkdir /var
> mkdir /usr
>
> Be VERY careful that /usr and /var are NOT mounted when you do this!
> Also note, a space or a slash in the wrong place in either of the above
> commands can wreck your system completely!

Good warnings.  I would also recommend doing a `ls -ld /usr /var >
/tmp/perms` before deleting the old directories, then double-checking
that the ownership and permissions on them are correct after creating
and mounting the new ones.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss