Re: Nvidia Debian Kernel

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:54:26 +0200 (EET)
Kai Hendry <hendry@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> On the user list you mentioned building a kernel the debian way with
> nvidia stuff.
>
> I apt-get source kernel-source-2.4.18

No. I get a pristine kernel from ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ then I
uzip and untar in into /usr/src so that it creates /usr/src/linux. I
change the directory name to match the kernel, eg. /usr/src/linux-2.4.18
and make a symlink to /usr/src/linux. I cd to the /usr/src/linux directory
and run 'make xconfig' and run through all the options. At this point, I
do the Debian bit, 'make-kpkg -rev Custom.N kernel_image'. I install the
resultant .deb then do the NVIDIA bits exactly as in the accompanying
documentation.

I never use apt-get to obtain kernel sources - never have done.

Hope this helps - it certainly works without errors here.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux

/"\