RE: Nvidia Debian Kernel

Hi Kai,
I have just compiled this kernel with the Nvidia modules, I have a geforceII
mx and got there after a bit of fiddling.

> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Nvidia Debian Kernel
>

> On the user list you mentioned building a kernel the debian way with
> nvidia stuff.
>
> I apt-get source kernel-source-2.4.18
>
> however building the kernel I got the error:
> dpkg-gencontrol: error: package kernel-image-2.4.18 not in
> control info

Dont know what this error is, but did you make-kpkg clean before starting.
You created a .config file with make xconfig or similiar yes?
I am not at my Linux box at the moment but I remember I needed another
package installed, something like kpkg-dev?
Instructions in /usr/share/doc/kernel...

> make[1]: *** [real_stamp_image] Error 29
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18-2.4.18'
> bilbo:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18-2.4.18# make-kpkg kernel_image
>
> Have I forgotten to do something?
>
> Also I tried building a modules image for the nvidia driver:
>
> bilbo:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18-2.4.18# make-kpkg modules_image
> find: /usr/src/modules: No such file or directory

>From the 'ls' below, I see you do not have this directory.
You should install the debian src packages as a pair, glx and nvidia kernel.
(I wouldnt try and use the source from the NVIDIA site as I dont know if
this will work and will not create the necessary Dir.)
On doing so the modules dir. will be created. When you run make-kpkg
modules_image, this is where it looks.

HTH
Wayne.
(Newbie)