Re: Acroread not displaying menu text 2nd try

on Tue, Mar 12, 2002, james@soon.co.uk (james@soon.co.uk) wrote:
> Pat
>
> Thanks for the e-mail. Unfortunately yours was the only responses I
> received. In fact I am using this reply as a rather lame excuse to
> post this question a second time.
>
> Needless to say I would be grateful for any pointer to a solution for
> the acroread/Acrobat problem described below.

Please use postfix quoting format:  your reply goes below the material
cited.  Trim your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are
accurate.

First:  I'd strongly recommend xdpf or gv as alternatives to the
non-free Acroread produced by a company which pursues strongly
objectionable practices of persecuting software developers for being
smart and innovative.

Second:  I suspect a font/locales issue.  You're likely seeing Adobe's
broken handling of double-byte charactersets.  This is conjecture (I
don't use Adobe products if at all possible), but somewhat matches my
own experience with other software this past fall, particularly the
locales given.  The issue was discussed at length on list.  There is no
single workaround, though there are numerous tacks to try.  My own later
posts tried to summarize some of the options, see archives.

> On 11 March 2002 12:57:04 Patrick Colbeck <pcolbeck@bashq.org> wrote
> >Hi
> >
> >Did you get a reply to this question ? I am having exactly the same
> >issue and guess what I am in th UK as well. If you got a solution I
> >would love to know what it is.

<...>

> >On Sunday 10 March 2002 11:42 pm, james@soon.co.uk wrote:

> >> I am experiencing a problem with acroread (Acobat reader)v.4.05-5 on
> >> what I believe is a typical Debian GNU/Linux 3 (Woody/Testing) system
> >> running on a Compaq Professional Workstation 5000 (P-Pro SMP).
> >>
> >> Acroread does not display any menu text at all (just gray line boxes
> >> where the text should be) and when it is started from an xterm the
> >> following error message is displayed:
> >>
> >> Warning: charset of fontList (ISO10646-1) does not match locale
> >> (ISO8859-1).
> >>
> >> I suspect this has come about because recently I had to change the
> >> user and root locales to ISO8859-1 (using dpkg-reconfigure locales)to
> >> enable recent releases of multi-gnome-terminal (currently v1.3.13) to
> >> run on my system.
> >>
> >> Reluctantly (because ISO8859-1 seems to be ideal for a UK based Debian
> >> box) I tried to set both the user and root locales to ISO10646-1. But
> >> this option is not available using dpkg-reconfigure locales. My system
> >> does have the following relevant looking file:
> >>
> >> /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/ISO_10646.gz
> >>
> >> But so far I have been unable to discover if it can be used to change
> >> the locales.

Peace.