Re: new twist on shutting down and restricting ssh users

on Wed, Mar 06, 2002, Simon Hepburn (sth@blueyonder.co.uk) wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 Mar 2002 9:11 pm, dman wrote:
>
> > I want to allow my dad to shut down the router/gateway.
>
> Install ext3fs. Show him the power switch  ;-)

Journaled filesystems exist to help recover from _filesystem_ errors in
the event of an unexpected shutdown.  You're still liable to encounter
_other_ forms of inconsistent data, and journaling ***DOES NOT***
address this issue.

Hard shutdowns are _not_ recommended as a matter of course.  You're
likely to run into trouble sooner or later.

By way of analogy, you can stop your car by running it up against
something.  Hitting the wheelstop in a parking lot at 1.5 MPH is rather
different from striking a tree at 65 MPH.  Your car is stopped in both
cases.  The condition of the contents may vary.

Peace.