Re: hotplug: problems with cold-plugging

Craig Dickson wrote:

> begin  Stefan Bellon  quotation:

> > 2.4.18
> >
> > I just had a closer look at it. The message doesn't appear at
> > startup, but nevertheless, the effect is the same:
> >
> > If I do "/etc/init.d/hotplug restart", then I get the following
> > message:
> >
> > umount: /proc/bus/usb: not mounted
> >
> > I digged a bit into the hotplug scripts and found that in
> > /etc/hotplug/usb.rc the usbdevfs gets mounted. And afterwards the
> > script checks whether devices are present and if not, unmounts it
> > again. And this fails. So I come to the conclusion that the
> > mounting of usbdevfs fails in the first place. But I can't see why.
> > Doing it by hand suceeds.

> I couldn't get my USB compact flash card reader to work at all in
> 2.4.18. Try 2.4.17 or 2.4.19pre2; both of these work for me.

Till yesterday I tried with the 2.4.17 before switching to the 2.4.18.
It didn't work either. I don't think it is a kernel or driver problem
as it worked fine with usbmgr. It's just that the hotplug scripts don't
bring up the USB stuff at boot time properly. Plugging afterwards works.

Greetings,

Stefan.

--
 Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbellon@sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
 PGP 2 and OpenPGP keys available from my home page

 99% of accidents occur at home ... stay safe, go out lots!