Re: hotplug: problems with cold-plugging

Craig Dickson wrote:

> begin  Stefan Bellon  quotation:

> > I've used usbmgr to manage my USB devices till now and everthing
> > worked fine. But I read that for 2.4 kernels hotplug is the
> > suggested way to go and not usbmgr.
> >
> > So I now tried to set up hotplug.
> >
> > The hot-plugging itself works fine. But hotplug doesn't detect what
> > is already plugged in at boot time. I have to unplug and replug the
> > devices in order to make hotplug load their drivers.
> >
> > Can't this be done properly?

> It works for me. What version of 2.4 are you using?

2.4.18

I just had a closer look at it. The message doesn't appear at startup,
but nevertheless, the effect is the same:

If I do "/etc/init.d/hotplug restart", then I get the following message:

umount: /proc/bus/usb: not mounted

I digged a bit into the hotplug scripts and found that in
/etc/hotplug/usb.rc the usbdevfs gets mounted. And afterwards the
script checks whether devices are present and if not, unmounts it
again. And this fails. So I come to the conclusion that the mounting of
usbdevfs fails in the first place. But I can't see why. Doing it by
hand suceeds.

Any ideas?

Greetings,

Stefan.

--
 Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbellon@sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
 PGP 2 and OpenPGP keys available from my home page

 10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.