hotplug: problems with cold-plugging

Hi!

I've used usbmgr to manage my USB devices till now and everthing worked
fine. But I read that for 2.4 kernels hotplug is the suggested way to
go and not usbmgr.

So I now tried to set up hotplug.

The hot-plugging itself works fine. But hotplug doesn't detect what is
already plugged in at boot time. I have to unplug and replug the
devices in order to make hotplug load their drivers.

Can't this be done properly?

After booting with three USB devices attached (trackball, serial device
and floppy), I have those log messages in dmesg:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: deregistering driver usbdevfs
usb.c: deregistering driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 19:31:45 Mar  9 2002
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1200, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1300, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc401) is not claimed by any
active driver.
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x403/0x6001) is not claimed by any
active driver.
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/1, assigned device number 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x644/0x0) is not claimed by any active
driver.

So, no driver has been loaded. Not even the trackball one, although I
have set X11_USBMICE_HACK=true in /etc/default/hotplug.usb! After
unplugging and replugging each device, I get the following messages
with dmesg:

usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 4
usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc401) is not claimed by any
active driver.
usb.c: registered new driver usb_mouse
input0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Trackball on usb1:4.0
usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 3
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 5
usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x403/0x6001) is not claimed by any
active driver.
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI SIO
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI 8U232AM
usbserial.c: FTDI 8U232AM converter detected
usbserial.c: FTDI 8U232AM converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or
usb/tts/0 for devfs)
ftdi_sio.c: v1.2.0:USB FTDI RS232 Converters Driver
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/1, assigned device number 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x644/0x0) is not claimed by any active
driver.
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
  Vendor: TEAC      Model: FD-05PUB          Rev: 1026
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
USB Mass Storage support registered.

So, why does it not work during booting and how can I make it work?

TIA.

Greetings,

Stefan.

--
 Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbellon@sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
 PGP 2 and OpenPGP keys available from my home page

 * * *  ADVERTISING SPACE FOR HIRE  * * *