Re: Debian install for beginners?

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 09:27:47PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 02:57:58PM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
>    >
>    > - Icewm - not gnome. (it seems lightweight) Alternatives welcome.
>
> Try fluxbox. It is fast and light. I particularly like its tabbed
> window arrangement.

Hadn't heard of that one. I'll study that.

> For a file manager, use rox. If your friend is comfortable with a text
> interface, emelfm should be very good.

Which package is rox in? An "apt-cache search" turns up lots of proxies
and the roxen challenger webserver, but nothing that looks like a file
manager. packages.debian.org doesn't seem to know either.

>    > - Mail client - sylpheed? (there was a discussion on debian-user about
>    >   this recently. I need to read up on that)
>
> Why not mutt?

I love mutt. But I don't think it will be suitable for somebody who
wants to learn to use computers - especially unattended. I suspect that
mutt will be too daunting.

>    [[snip]]
>
>    > - Browser? Will mozilla be too heavyweight? I like mozilla myself...
>
> Try galeon.

I've avoided it so far, but it might just do for this one. Time to study
again.

>    [[snip]]
>
> You do not need gtcd to rip cd's. Install cdparanoia and lame
> (unofficial package). That should do the trick without pulling in the
> gnome libs.

Is there a GUI for that? So far I've been running gtcd + cdparanoia +
blade myself, with gtcd providing the GUI.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Sridhar M.A.                                mas at uomphysics dot net

Thank you - quite a few things for me to look into.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com