Debian install for beginners?

Hi

Has anybody else had experience with setting up a Debian GNU/Linux box
for friends who wants to get started with computers? If so then I'd
appreciate your comments/input.

I plan to use:
- Debian GNU/Linux (off course!)
    install minimal potato, set up apt to point to woody (with
    preferences for security updates from potato). I've most most
    packages in my apt-proxy cache anyway.
- hand-rolled 2.4.17 kernel
    Basically a kernel-package job, probably with tmpfs for /tmp and
    /var/run
- XFree 4.1.0
- xdm (anything small will do)
- Icewm - not gnome. (it seems lightweight) Alternatives welcome.
- Mail client - sylpheed? (there was a discussion on debian-user about
  this recently. I need to read up on that)
- Gnumeric
- Abiword: I think staroffice will be too much for the machine. Any
  alternatives?
- Browser? Will mozilla be too heavyweight? I like mozilla myself...
- Any progs/applets available for controlling pppd?
- Some games
    That's probably what they will mostly use the machine for.
    ace-of-penguins looks nice.
    gotta have tetris too.
    Ideas?
- Gimp
- FreeAmp
- mgetty so I can dial in if needed. Should also be usable for fax.

I'd like to install gtcd as well (part of the gnome-media package), so
they can turn CDs into MP3s, but that will pull in most of the gnome
libraries. I fear that the memory usage may cause the machine to collapse.

Somebody else must have done this before - any ideas/concerns will be
appreciated.

---- Background (please snip upon responding): ----

A couple of friend of mine wants to have a computer. But they can't
afford a new one. As it happens, I have enough spare bits (junk?) around
to build a small box. I keep emphasising to them that it will be a
*very* low-spec PC. But at least it will get them started.

I have to keep in mind that they have almost no experience with
computers whatsoever. And I don't want to drag debian's name into the
mud, so I have to get this right :-) They shouldn't need to use xterm -
at least not for the first month or two...

I plan to do the full install and "hand over" the box when it's ready to
use, with everything installed and working.

Hardware:
- Motherboard. Carbon-16 didn't work, so it must be old.
- 133 MHz Pentium (probably MMX)
- 64 Mb memory - no free memory slots :-(
- 3 Gb IDE disk - should be enough
- ATAPI CD-Rom drive
- 3.5" floopy (two of them actually!)
- 3com Etherlink III ISA (they won't need it, but handy while setting
  the box up)
- Modem (not sure what type, but not a winmodem. Easy)
- Creative SB 16 Pnp
- S3Virge PCI(325) video card

The box is a salvage-job. My budget for all of this is non-existent. I
even managed to salvage an old monitor and keyboard (without the Windows
key!). Unfortunately I will have to go over budget when it comes to
getting a mouse though...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com