Re: Debian install for beginners?

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 02:57:58PM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:

   > - Icewm - not gnome. (it seems lightweight) Alternatives welcome.

Try fluxbox. It is fast and light. I particularly like its tabbed
window arrangement.

For a file manager, use rox. If your friend is comfortable with a text
interface, emelfm should be very good.

   > - Mail client - sylpheed? (there was a discussion on debian-user about
   >   this recently. I need to read up on that)

Why not mutt?

   > - Gnumeric
   > - Abiword: I think staroffice will be too much for the machine. Any
   >   alternatives?

Should be good.

   > - Browser? Will mozilla be too heavyweight? I like mozilla myself...

Try galeon.

   > - FreeAmp

xmms could be choice. Again, mp3blaster in an xterm would suck less.

   > I'd like to install gtcd as well (part of the gnome-media package), so
   > they can turn CDs into MP3s, but that will pull in most of the gnome
   > libraries.

You do not need gtcd to rip cd's. Install cdparanoia and lame
(unofficial package). That should do the trick without pulling in the
gnome libs.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                                mas at uomphysics dot net

A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation.
		-- H.H. Munro, "Saki"