How not to ask for help or report success (was Re: I fucked up apt-get)

on Wed, Mar 06, 2002, Rudy Gevaert (rudy@zeus.rug.ac.be) wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 08:28:41PM +0100, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I fucked up apt-get :( so badly I can't install or upgrade a thing.  Is
> > there a way to reconfigure everything so apt-get forgets about his past
> > options.
> >
> > Also, when I do apt-get update, I see a the ftp.de.debian.org mirror
> > passing by, but this isn't in my sources.list.  How can this be?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> Problem fixed!

When you post a problem, post the command line used and error messages
received.

When you post a solution, er, post the _solution_.  Others can learn.

I'd very strongly recommend you read the following excellent essay by
Simon Tatham, "How to Report Bugs Effectively"

Please note that you are the person in the best position to know what
you're trying to do, what you've done, how the system's responded, and
generally how it's configured.  It's very helpful if you can post:

  - *Exact* commands or steps tried.
  - *Exact* error output or log messages.

Often, entering the error messages into a good search engine such as
Google (http://www.google.com/) will help set you on the road to
resolving your problems.

While others can offer suggestions, guidance, and experience, we cannot
see into either your mind or your machine's state.  This is very much a
case of "you have to help us help you".

Peace.