Re: Debian install for beginners?

Karl E. Jorgensen, Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 02:57:58PM +0000:
> Hi
>
> Has anybody else had experience with setting up a Debian GNU/Linux box
> for friends who wants to get started with computers? If so then I'd
> appreciate your comments/input.

Have done this as well for family.  It really saves time on maintenance.

> I plan to use:
> - Debian GNU/Linux (off course!)
>     install minimal potato, set up apt to point to woody (with
>     preferences for security updates from potato). I've most most
>     packages in my apt-proxy cache anyway.

I don't think potato security updates apply to woody systems.

> - hand-rolled 2.4.17 kernel
>     Basically a kernel-package job, probably with tmpfs for /tmp and
>     /var/run

Don't forget autofs!  You'll need that to automagically mount floppies
and cdroms.  Very useful tool and easy to configure.

> - XFree 4.1.0
> - xdm (anything small will do)
> - Icewm - not gnome. (it seems lightweight) Alternatives welcome.
> - Mail client - sylpheed? (there was a discussion on debian-user about
>   this recently. I need to read up on that)

mozilla-mail?  Works ok.

> - Gnumeric
> - Abiword: I think staroffice will be too much for the machine. Any
>   alternatives?
> - Browser? Will mozilla be too heavyweight? I like mozilla myself...

I like mozilla as well.

> - Any progs/applets available for controlling pppd?

I think there are some in gnome-applets.

> - Some games
>     That's probably what they will mostly use the machine for.
>     ace-of-penguins looks nice.
>     gotta have tetris too.
>     Ideas?

gnome-games.

> - Gimp

try gthumb or gqview to browse images. eeyes is a good simple image
viewer.

> - FreeAmp

xmms.

> - mgetty so I can dial in if needed. Should also be usable for fax.
>
> I'd like to install gtcd as well (part of the gnome-media package), so
> they can turn CDs into MP3s, but that will pull in most of the gnome
> libraries. I fear that the memory usage may cause the machine to collapse.
>
> Somebody else must have done this before - any ideas/concerns will be
> appreciated.

Note that you can also install yahoo messenger or aim.  Agsatellite is
also available, although you have to tie it to some buttons on the
panel.

I used gnome and elightenment and made it look like to the win32
that had died on the same box.  The only trouble I am having is finding
a graphical file manager that can open files in SO when clicked (gmc
can't) or works well with autofs (nautilus doesn't).  Other than that,
the only real issue is managing fonts - the fonts always seem to get
screwy after an upgrade.  Haven't figured out why.

Also, remember that most people don't like really high resolutions.
1024x768 or less should be ok.

Brought to you by Debian 3.0
Linux took 2.4.16 #1 SMP Sat Jan 5 12:52:24 EST 2002 i686 unknown