Re: CD-Writing Program

* Jeff J. <jeff@campbellcounty.com> [020308 10:56]:
> Im trying to move the family from WinXP to Debian so my computer wont
> be rebooted into windows every time I come home..  If I could find a
> generally 'compatible' browser that works with everything (mostly?)

Galeon seems very promising. Should be in woody.

> and a good comprehensive/easy to use cd-writing program, it would be
> nice.. Anyone who has conned the family into using Linux have any
> insight?  All my wife does is burn mp3's as audio CD's to play in the
> car..

$ grep-available -F Depends -s Package cdrecord
gives on actual sid:

Package: cdbackup
Package: bootcd
Package: gcombust
Package: kreatecd
Package: gtoaster
Package: multicd
Package: eroaster
Package: mp3burn
Package: xcdroast
Package: cdcontrol

Those are the packages depending on cdrecord. (grep-available is in the
grep-dctrl package). For simple use kreatecd is quite nice. For burning
mp3's use mp3burn (as said in another post). gcombust, gtoaster and
xcdroast are more general burning utilities. The rest are mainly backup
utilities I think. Maybe not all of them are in woody and propably only
few are in potato.

Also there is webcdwriter or so - not packaged because java-based,
search on freshmeat. It is a server and a browser-based client. If they
know how to browse, they propably like this too.

As usual on linux, you've got the choice.

Greets,

Karsten
--
Karsten Heymann <karsten.heymann@gmx.de> <karsten@ecology.uni-kiel.de>